Kathleen’s Five-Minute Writing Tip
Are You a Bad-Ass Chick Asleep at the Keyboard? Texting is Writing, Too — I Think
I finally started texting after realizing that the only way to communicate with my nieces and nephews was either to text them or “find” them on Facebook. All millennials ignore letters, phone messages, and even emails. I asked one niece if she had received the snail-mail birthday card I sent her. She replied that she hardly ever goes to her mailbox. I go to my mailbox every day and sometimes twice to see if I’ve missed something.
When I started texting, I had to learn the lingo. Another niece had sent me a text saying she had the flu. I replied wishing her a speedy recovery, and signed off with LOL, thinking at that time it meant “Lots Of Love.” The niece replied, saying there was nothing funny about being sick. LOL actually means “Laugh Out Loud.” I had no problem with BTW (By The Way), until I discovered it also means “Bring The Wheelchair.”
After this, I thought it would be fun to Google and print a list of popular text acronyms to keep in my reference file. Finding the list was easy, but I was shocked to see it ran for several pages. I decided instead to learn a few common text acronyms to have at the ready.
Here are my 10 favorite SMSs, plus some new ones:
- AAK: Asleep At The Keyboard. It happens to me a lot. Fortunately, I’ve never deleted anything important.
2. AOYP: Angel On Your Pillow. I’m not sure what this means, but I like the sound of it. Who couldn’t use an angel on their pillow? If it means something obscene, text me and let me know.
3. ATAB: Ain’t That A Bitch. There are other text acronyms that mean the same thing, but I only use the F-word when I’m at home or with my sisters.
4. AYMM: Are You My Mother? I save this one for bossy people who think they can tell me what to do.
5. BAC: Bad Ass Chick. I’m thinking of changing my email signature to this one.
6. BIBO: Beer In Beer Out. No comment, no explanation needed.
7. LD: Later Dude. I can’t imagine myself saying dude in any conversation, but it’s amusing in a text.
8. GSOAS: Go Sit On A Snake. I assume this to mean the same as “go take a hike,” but GSOAS is more visually compelling.
9. CRD: Caucasian Rhythm Disorder. This was my excuse not to be part of a choreographed dance at a relative’s wedding reception.
10. A3: Anytime Anyplace Anywhere. I’m happily married, but if I were not, and if Antonio Banderas texted me to meet him for a drink, this would be my reply.
Now, here are a few I created to fit my own vernacular:
MTCOTM: Make The Check Out To Me.
BISS: Because I Said So.
SNS: Stirred Not Shaken. IHA: I’ll Have Another.
And, my favorite, TTSFS: Time To Shop For Shoes!